Friday, May 28, 2010

So I finished my first week of work with Greenpeace, and am not entirely sure if I will have another. There is a target of member sign-ups that we have to get in a week to be able to move on to the next week, and I didn't exactly make that target. I was one short, so I have one more day to prove myself, or else I'm back to the job hunt. I have very mixed feelings about that. It is disappointing because I want to be able to do it and I so desperately need a job that it will be a real problem if I lose one so soon. On the other hand, that job is extremely hard, and I really might not be cut out for it.

Basically me and three other members of the "Street Team" go to a different Wellington location everyday and try to get people to sign-up as Greenpeace members. It is very cold and rainy, and usually the day is an emotional roller coaster. I go from feeling hopeful and really enthusiastic about people, to being really disheartened and miserable about people. The more I've learned about Greenpeace, the more I've grown to appreciate them, which keeps me glad that I am working for them. I find it really hard to ask for money and I have to work to muster the courage and enthusiasm to approach every single person who walks past me. I don't think this is the type of job I'm meant to have long term, but I would like to get better at it. My team leader is incredibly nice and the other two people who got hired with me are great too; unfortunately, they did not make their goals this week so they are done.

For all of the rude remarks and times I was ignored this week, there were so many times when someone thanked me for doing my job, or passed me by but came back a second later once they realized what I said, or signed-up even though they are unemployed or on benefits. I've met some incredibly kind souls this week, often in the most unexpected bodies. It has been a valuable lesson for me on judging books by their covers. For that I am grateful.

You should sign our Save the Whale petition! NZ parliament votes Wednesday on whether or not to legalize whaling again. I voted no:
http://www.greenpeace.org.nz/action/iwc/action.asp

Peace out.

1 comment: